Sandstone Short Fiction Competition 2020
There's a lot to worry about in the news just now, but sometimes a crisis can be a great spur to creativity too. So we thought we’d try to shed a little light in the gloom with a short story competition - and the chance to win a bundle of Sandstone goodies in the process!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO Write a story for us of up to 500 words max using either of the following prompts:
AN EPIDEMIC OF KINDNESS
Choose any genre you like, and make your story happy or sad, weird or domestic, topical. historical or universal - or anything in between!
HOW TO ENTER Email your entry as an attached Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and story title in the subject line. Please don't add your name or any other identification in the story itself as these will be read anonymously.
JUDGE AND PRIZE The competition judge is our very own Dan Brotzel, author of the brilliant story collection Hotel du Jack. Dan will draw up a shortlist of three and announce the winner a week or so after the deadline of April 6th , 2020.
Dan will write a judge's report for us, with feedback on the top three stories, which will all be published on our blog. The winner will receive a selection of current Sandstone goodies, including a copy of Hotel du Jack.
• Work must be original and previously unpublished.
• Entrants must be 18 years or over.
• All entries must be sent by email as Word attachments to email@example.com
• 500 words maximum wordcount; no minimum.
• Only one entry per person. Once sent, entries cannot be altered or revised.
• If you need to withdraw your story, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can to let us know.
• Hard deadline is midnight 06.04.20, UK time.
• Include the story name and your author name in the subject line of your email, and in the body of your email too. But remember NOT to include your name anywhere in your actual word doc.
• Please type your entry in a standard font in double spacing , and attach as a Word doc. Make the file name the same as your story title only. Don't add any author identification in the file name or in the Word doc.
• No simultaneous submissions.
• Decisions of judge and Sandstone are final. We regret we cannot enter into correspondence about individual entries, or give feedback on stories outside the shortlist.
• Sandstone reserves first online publication rights only - full copyright reverts to author.