Sandsone Press Logo

On The Blog

Along the Amber Route: Sopron

The town stands on a peninsula of Hungarian territory that juts deep into Burgenland, almost cutting the region in two. In August 1921, when Austrian police and customs officials attempted to take control of ‘German West Hungary’ in accordance with the Treaty of Saint-Germain, they met fierce resistance from a local militia called the Ragged Guards who, supported by the Hungarian army, established their own administration in the region they called Lajtabánság. Following diplomatic intervention, both sides agreed to a plebiscite. While the mostly German-speaking inhabitants of the rural areas voted overwhelmingly to become part of Austria, the predominantly Magyar population of the capital Sopron (then known as Ödenburg) opted to join Hungary.

From Along the Amber Route by C.J. Schüler

Back to the map.

C.J. Schüler

C.J. Schüler