Sandsone Press Logo

On The Blog

The Wood That Built London: Sydenham

The manor of Lewisham belonged to the Abbey of St Pierre in Ghent, in what is now Belgium, to whom it had been granted by King Edgar in 964. The Domesday Book records that it had woodland for fifty pigs. Like Camberwell, Lewisham had been divided into several subsidiary manors by 1290, when a new law put a stop to the practice. One of these was Sydenham – the old spelling was Cypenham or Sippenham – which was given by John Besville to the priory of Rochester some time around 1400.

From The Wood That Built London by C.J. Schüler

Back to the map.

C.J. Schüler

C.J. Schüler