Sandsone Press Logo

On The Blog

The Wood That Built London: Deptford

In 1513, determined to build a powerful national fleet, Henry VIII established the naval dockyard at Deptford, close to the North Wood with its convenient supply of oak. Henry shared the widespread belief that mature trees needed for shipbuilding were being wastefully felled for uses that could be met by shrubs or coppice wood. This led to the passing of the Statute of Woods in 1543, which laid out strict rules for the felling of timber: twelve standards (or ‘stadels’) per acre were to be left to grow into mature trees, and coppices had to be enclosed after cutting to protect them from grazing animals.

From The Wood That Built London by C.J. Schüler

Back to the map.

C.J. Schüler

C.J. Schüler