Sandsone Press Logo

On The Blog

The Wood That Built London: Cox's Walk

Some time before 1714, John Cox, landlord of the Green Man, was given permission by the Dulwich Estate to cut a path through the Fifty Acre Wood, ‘reserving for shade on each side half a rood of wood, unfelled’ to bring customers to his inn from Sydenham Wells. The oak-lined avenue is clearly shown on Senex’s map, and Rocque labels it ‘Green Man Walk’; today it is called Cox’s Walk.

From The Wood That Built London by C.J. Schüler

Back to the map.

C.J. Schüler

C.J. Schüler